Sunday, January 16, 2011

Buttermilk Caramel Sauce

So I had some leftover buttermilk and went on a search to find a good use for it.  Imagine my delight to happen upon a recipe for Buttermilk Caramel Sauce on Our Best Bites!  I can see myself spending quite a bit of quality time perusing their vast recipe catalog in the very near future...

But back to the caramel sauce...

Here's the recipe as modified in my kitchen:
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons(ish) homemade "corn syrup"*
  • Splash of vanilla
Mix all ingredients except vanilla in a large soup pot over medium low heat.  Once the sauce starts to bubble, continue stirring for about 10 minutes.  The color will begin to take on a caramel tone.  Remove from heat and add the splash of vanilla.

Now prepare to pour a bit over some deserving ice cream, pear crumble, open mouth, or what have you.  B had a friend over tonight for a sleepover and they both loved it! 

I'm freezing the rest of my buttermilk in 3/4 cup portions to make this again.  I'll let you know how that works out.

*Homemade "corn syrup":  So, I ran out of corn syrup on Thanksgiving day this year.  Right smack dab in the middle of making my annual chocolate chip pecan pie.  There was no way that I was going to miss that pie so I decided to try my hand at making my own "corn syrup".  The pie turned out beautifully and the remainder of the syrup was waiting for me in the refrigerator door tonight when I needed it. 
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
Cook and stir until all sugar is melted.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment