Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Steel Cut Oats

I found a screaming deal at Sunflower Market on bulk steel cut oats last week and finally decided to test them out.  I'd heard a lot about the health benefits of these oats over the years but have to confess that I'd never even seen them.  They definitely don't look like the oats I've seen before...



I did a bit of research on how to use my slow cooker to cook them an opted for the bain marie technique.  My new slow cooker tends to cook hot and I was not interested in waking up to a burnt mess this morning.  :) 
It's so simple!  Here's the brief recipe I used:

  • 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 4 cups water
  • kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in heat safe bowl that is large enough to hold all ingredients and small enough to fit in your slow cooker.  Place a bit of aluminum foil (I lightly crumpled two pieces) in the bottom of the crock and nestle bowl.  Add water to space between bowl and crock ~ I filled mine to the lower ridge of the bowl.  Cook on low overnight.

We woke the next morning to a tasty aroma and a huge amount of oatmeal!  B and I enjoyed ours with a bit of brown sugar and some pomegranate Craisins ~ it's what I had on hand.  Tas-ty!  Tomorrow I'm trying mine topped with banana and a bit of huckleberry honey...
Check out the amount of leftovers that we have!  I've got three E-sized portions and five portions for the rest of us.  A handful are going to the freezer and I'm saving the rest for my breakfast this week.  Almost makes me look forward to waking up....

Next time I'm going to try replacing some of the water with milk (maybe evaporated milk) and may even try cooking it directly in the crock to see if it browns a bit more.  I'll keep you posted.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. thats awesome. I will have to try that. I bought some gluten free oats and they were pretty good. Looks like it made alot too.

    ReplyDelete